Start time & location
8.00am at Acron Road, Acron Oval, St Ives
(Race bib collection is from 6am at Acron Oval on event day, race briefing is at approximately 7.45am)
- The race briefing will be held on Acron Oval just before the start time of 8.00am.
- The race starts on Acron Oval proceeds directly to the top of the Cascades Track and entry into the Garigal National Park. From here, "the offroad" or bush section of the track begins and goes for approximately 8.5 km's.
- Travel straight down the Cascades Track for about 1km going past the left hand turn that says “Upper Cambourne”. Just 200 metres downhill from this, turn left at the “Lower Cambourne” signpost/track. Follow Lower Cambourne for around 1.25 km where you will come to a small "Water Hole" /rivulet. (Sometimes dry if there has not been recent rain). Continue on the track for about another 1.5 kms. There are no other tracks so it is easy to "stay on track".
- At the end of the 3 kms you reach a second, much larger creek. Look left and 10 metres upstream there is an easy crossing point. After crossing the creek, immediately get yourself back on the main track (i.e. approximately 10 metres back to the right). OR you can walk / run straight through the creek. The depth of the creek depends on the rainfall, so proceed with caution
- From the creek continue about 200 metres uphill until you reach a T-intersection. Turn left onto the Cascades track at this intersection. Keep going along the Cascades track for approximately 1 km, then turnaround and head back for about 800 metres. This small loop back enables the full 10 km run.
- At the Quarry Track (unmarked) veer right. You will see a creek within 20 metres of veering right. This is Bare Creek.
- From Bare Creek you proceed uphill (with some undulations, but it's a lot of uphill) for about 1.5kms until you arrive at the National Parks gate. The gate will be open on the day of the event but if you are doing a training run you will have to climb over the closed gate.
- From the gate, continue uphill for approximately 1km and at the first available fork, turn left. The trail flattens out. Follow the trail until you come to a wide intersection, turn left and head towards the electricity tower, the track swings right and you will pass the pump house on your right.
- From the pump house keep going another 200 metres and then turn left onto an unsealed road.
- Go along this unsealed road until you come to a left turn onto a track. This is Kitchener Street track, although it is unsigned although there is a 20km sign at the entrance. Turn onto the track and continue along it (downhill) until you come to an intersection, go straight ahead for about 1km. Exit past the chain onto Linigen Place between two houses, where you then turn right.
- The rest of the run is on residential roads. Go another 50 metres and turn left downhill into Whitehaven Street. Go for about 300 metres to a T-intersection where you turn left onto Blackburn Street.
- At the next intersection with Acron Road, turn left and this turns into Cambourne Ave. Cambourne Ave loops around for about 200 metres then keeps going for approximately 1km heading south towards Acron Oval.
- At the south end of Cambourne Ave there is a steep hill to ascend. At the top of this hill the road turns into Douglas Street.
- Veer around to the right on Douglas Street and continue west for about 300 metres. Once you get to the intersection of Acron Road, turn left and you will see the Oval. Almost there! - the Finish line is in sight, one final lap around the oval. Run!